Harry Connick Jr. and Branford Marsalis - A Duo Occasion (2005) DVD9

Imagen IPB

Video: NTSC, MPEG-2, 720 x 480 (2.370) at 29.970 fps

Audio: AC-3 at 448 Kbps 6 channels, LPCM-2 at 1 536 Kbps

Menu: Yes

Time: 84 min.

Size: 5,49 GB

Copy: 1:1

This world premiere duo performance helped celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Ottawa Jazz Festival and is a total gas in every way, from beginning to end. Even if it didn't feature such top names in jazz today I would lean positively toward a duo like this which doesn't involve drums - just my personal thing. Branford also plays a lot of soprano sax, which is my favorite of Adolph's family. The stage is not brightly lit but neither are the images washed out or murky-looking, as on so many jazz videos. The surround sound is top rate, just as good as the best DTS tracks. When the audience goes nuts - a frequent occurrence - one really feels that you're right in the midst of it. Applause is a wonderful test source for checking out equipment, and the applause here sounds exactly like lots of pairs of hands coming together - which it fails to do on most recordings.

Connick started out his career studying jazz piano with Branford's father Ellis Marsalis in New Orleans, and has been close to all the Marsalises since childhood, so the kidding around and camaraderie during this concert is not forced show-biz stuff but the genuine thang. Connick is in quite a different bag here from his vocals-oriented albums. He concentrates on providing some exciting and often amazing interplay with Branford's sax soloing. He kicks off the concert with a piano solo on Chattanooga Choo Choo which will be unlike any treatment of that tune you've ever heard. The New Orleans "piano professor" style is strong here, but so are a host of other influences.

Tracklist:

01. Chattanooga Choo Choo

02. Brown World

03. Occasion

04. Valentine's Day

05. Good to Be Home

06. Virgoid

07. I Like Love More

08. Spot

09. Steve Lacy

10. Light the Way

11. Chanson du Vieux Carré